Monday, November 17, 2008

Back in Again

Here I am in the hospital again! I guess I had enough time to relax and get back on my feet before they sucked me back in, because four days into my stay I am feeling fine still with no major unpleasantness. This time I am here for a different reason. Chemo. They are giving me the highest dose allowed of this current kind, so I must be on close supervision in case I need a blood transfusion or anything. In fact I may be getting one of those today. If all of this med-speak is boring you please tell me so in the comments section. I just don't know what people like to hear. Grey's Anatomy probably makes this stuff more interesting than I do.

I have had a succession of relatives come visit from far-away places over the last few weeks, and it's been really nice to see them. I get kind of lonely I guess, especially at home. My mobility has been even more limited as of late, so even leaving the house for a trip anywhere like the grocery store has been a much bigger deal, usually meaning no deal. I have my own wheelchair now, haven't used it much. I never thought I would have to be one of the users of those long ramps at the movie theater and other places. I am right on the edge now. I can make it on the crutches, but it's at a snails pace so those with me must be patient.

I have been flattered by the people who have read this blog and sent me positive feedback. I think there have been three such responses, and they mean a lot. When writing I feel like I need to know they target audience before I start, but with this there is no target audience at all. A different dynamic, and I must admit a liberating one. It's just me being me guys. I don't care who you are. This is me and you can react with who you are. And I hope you do. And not just towards me.

I just started reading Stephen Colbert's book I Am America (And So Can You!) It's so hilarious, and I'm only a few pages into it. He makes the ridiculous sound plausible, then ends with a truth that makes it even more ridiculous. We shall see. It's like his show, but about issues in general.

I get about 20 visits from various doctors and other personnel every day in my room here. I have to wake up early so they don't have to talk to me in bed. It's not that bad, really. All of the attention makes me feel important, and when I am discharged and go home, there is kind of a vacuum of contact that doesn't get filled. I will try to do something about that this time. Arrange to see some friends or something.

I hope you enjoyed what you read. Maybe in a few more days I will have another swath of golden information for your hungry hears. Till then, good night and try harder.

10 comments:

TheStoryFactor said...

I can't imagine 20 doctors in a day. I love Stephen Colbert...did you ever see his speech to the Washington Press club? It's on youtube.

You will have plenty of relatives around soon! Don't let them tire you out!

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful to find your blog, Everett. It's a gift! Your insights into patient-hood are right on. That is, if someone can really know who has only walked this most intensive road ever with another. I only slept on the fold-out beds and no one poked my veins at 4am.
As for Stephen C, I'll have to check him out again now that we're moving on from the heat of the campaign.

Peace be with you. I pray for you and your family.
Ann

matthornb said...

Hi, Matthew Hornbostel here.
Glad you're getting visitors.

I like Stephen Colbert too. He's hilarious and his truthiness is fantastic. Just hysterical.
If you want to watch his show, colbertnation.com is great, and for streaming television and movies in general, I'd recommend hulu.com. Though, you probably already know about those two websites.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to see you again. I'll be praying for you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You are an exceptional writer. Thanks for the glimpse into that beautiful mind of yours. I have enjoyed your blog as I did our time as roommates. Your dedication to schoolwork inspired me to fully apply myself to my studies. Thanks for introducing me to Fry, Shake, and Meatwad. Laughter truly is the best medicine.
Your friend,
Kurt Cartwright

Unknown said...

Everett,
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Craig and I have been praying for you and your family. I am delighted to know you have such a sense of humour and talent for writing. Of course, your dad has a great sense of humour so I should not be surprised that it runs in the family.
Do you want to know how Bangladesh is these days? As crowded as ever. This morning there is a deep fog---first of the cold season. The economy is bad and people are eating less nutritiously---more rice and less dahl. Dahl is expensive. And you know how Bangladeshis are about veggies! This country must have the most boring veggies in the world although my boys always would eat the "shak shobji." The young people are very tech savvy nowadays. Everyone has a cell phone--we joke that the rickshawallas even have them, ie: "Oh, bhay, ey dike asbe na! Onek jam-tam ekhane. Oy Azad Gate dike jaw... tarpor tumi bhalo bhabe aste paro...kono jam-tam oy dike nay."
By the way, "tomar bhat kheyecho?"
Take care, Everett, we are still praying for your recovery.
Love, Sharlene Meisner

Charles Lucas said...

You are an insightful,succinct author. You are giving me some insight also, even if I can't know it or express it as well as you. Charles Lucas

Charles Lucas said...

You are an insightful,succinct author. You are giving me some insight also, even if I can't know it or express it as well as you. Charles Lucas

Charles Lucas said...

You are an insightful,succinct author. You are giving me some insight also, even if I can't know it or express it as well as you. Charles Lucas

Unknown said...

Ev, this is a really good blog. It's not often someone can shrug off a blood transfusion but be serious about Stephen Colbert. Have you seen the Colbert Christmas Special? It's a little different from his regular show but still worth watching.

Also, I think your audience is quite a bit larger than the handful of folks who are commenting here. I'm sharing your blog with at least a dozen people. I suspect many others are doing the same.

We're praying for you Ev,

-Tom